> CANS > Child and Adult Care Food Program
Calendar of Events

 2014 Legislature
 A-Z Index
 About the Department
 Board of Education
 Indian Education
 Report Card
 School Directory
 Statistical Digest

 News Releases


 Contact Us

 K-12 Data Center
 SD Codified Laws
 State Library
 Teacher 411
 Virtual School


   Follow sddoe on Twitter    Subscribe to me on YouTube


Child and Adult Care Food Program


Child and Adult Care Food Program provides cash reimbursements for meals served in child day care centers, family and group day care homes, and adult day care centers. Programs are reimbursed according to the number of meals they serve to children. Child and Adult Care Centers receive reimbursement based on family size and income. Day care homes and group family day care homes receive reimbursement based on income level of the area or of the family.

Child Day Care Homes, Child Day Care Centers and Adult Day Care Centers must be licensed in order to participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program.

In order to participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program, day care homes must be located in a home. Group Family Day Care Homes must be in a residential building. It may be a provider's home or it may be a vacant home. Note that licensing for a group family day care home allows it to be in another building (not necessarily a residence); however, if it is not in a residence, that Group Family Day Care Home is not eligible to participate in the CACFP.

Applications for RENEWING Centers

Applications for RENEWING agencies

Applications for NEW Centers
2013-14 Applications for NEW Independent Centers

2013-14 Applications for NEW Sponsors of Centers (if you have two or more childcare centers)

If you are interested in applying to become a new Sponsor of Homes, please contact Melissa Halling at (605) 280-2696 to request the application parts for this type of organization.


Claims for Reimbursement

Claims Forms 2014-15

Claims Forms 2013-14

Afterschool Snack

Snacks can be a part of the after-school care programs. The William F. Goodling Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Amendments Act of 1998, also known as Public Law 105-336, contained a section that allows snacks to be claimed for reimbursement in certain instances. Implementation policies and regulations have been issued. The snack is included as part of the current agreement. Agencies that are considering participation in snack meal service for children in after-school care situations can call Child and Adult Nutrition Services (CANS) at (605) 773-3413.

What are "Afterschool Snacks"?
The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) now offers cash reimbursement to help schools serve snacks to children after their regular school day ends. Afterschool snacks give children a nutritional boost and draw them into supervised activities that are safe, fun and filled with learning opportunities.

How can children benefit from the snack service?
Afterschool snacks help ensure that children receive the nutrition they need to learn, play and grow. Organized, structured, and supervised programs that provide snacks allow children to think and behave better, and help them make the grade!

Is my afterschool care program eligible?
In order for a site to participate, your school district must run the NSLP. Additionally the afterschool care program must provide children with regularly scheduled educational or enrichment activities in a supervised environment. Contact your State education agency for further information regarding program eligibility.

What type of snacks must be served in my program?
In order to be reimbursed, the snacks must contain at least two different components of the following four: a serving of fluid milk; a serving of meat or meat alternate; a serving of vegetable(s) or fruit(s) or full strength vegetable or fruit juice; a serving of whole grain or enriched bread and/or cereal.

How much money will my school get for serving snacks?
Snacks served in afterschool care programs that are "area eligible" (see Question 6) will be reimbursed at the free rate, regardless of an individual student’s eligibility for free or reduced price lunches. Snacks served in afterschool care programs that are not area eligible will be reimbursed at the free, reduced price and paid rate depending on each individual’s eligibility for free or reduced price meals. For the period of July 1, 2002, through June 30, 2003, reimbursement is $0.58 for free snacks, $0.29 for reduced price snacks, and $0.05 for paid snacks. The rates of reimbursement for Alaska and Hawaii are higher. These rates are adjusted annually.

How is "area eligible" defined?
An afterschool care program site is "area eligible" if it is located at a school or in the attendance area of a school where at least 50 percent of the enrolled children are eligible for free or reduced price meals. For example, if a high school with less than 50 percent free or reduced price school enrollment is located in the attendance area of a middle school that has 50 percent or more of the enrolled children eligible for free or reduced price meals, then the afterschool care program located in the high school would be area eligible.

If my site is not area eligible, must I take applications for individual students to determine whether they are eligible for free or reduced price benefits?
Since your school district is already participating in the NSLP, it will have free and reduced price applications on file. The eligibility determinations for those applications would apply for both the lunch and snack service under the NSLP. If an approved free or reduced price application is not on file, the school district will earn the paid rate of reimbursement for snacks served to that student unless the student makes application and is approved for free or reduced price benefits.

How do I apply for afterschool snacks?
Contact the school food service director in your school district. You may also want to contact your State education agency for more information. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service home page at has a list of State agencies.

When do the reimbursements begin?
As soon as the State agency approves your application, reimbursement will be earned for snacks served.

What records must be maintained?
Your school food service staff will provide you with specific information on the reporting and record keeping requirements. You will need to maintain a roster or sign-in sheet for participating children. Additionally, if you are area eligible, you must record and report the total number of snacks you serve each day. If you are not area eligible, you must record and report the number of snacks served each day by category of reimbursement (i.e., whether they are served free, at a reduced price or paid). You will also be required to maintain documentation of compliance with the meal pattern.

If I am not eligible under NSLP, what can I do?
If you are not eligible under the requirements for the NSLP, you may still qualify for snack reimbursement under the Child and Adult Care Food Program. To find out, contact your State agency.

Who administers the program?
The NSLP is administered on the Federal level by the Food and Nutrition Service, an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. In South Dakota, the Department of Education – Child and Adult Nutrition Services administers the program. They can be reached at 605-773-3413. At the local level, the program is administered by the school/school district.


Ongoing CACFP Training:

Below are a variety of webinars about the CACFP and the specific requirements for duties related to the program. Every person within your agency must be trained in their specific CACFP duties before they begin those duties and at least annually after that. These videos can be used to train staff within your organization on their CACFP duties. To receive training credit on any topic, the training quiz, provided as handout on each webinar, must be completed and sent to the CANS office. A score of 15 correct (out of 20 questions) is required to receive training credit on that topic. Make sure that the staff names and agency name is clearly printed on the training quiz.

Record Keeping in the CACFP
Infant Feeding in the CACFP
Creditable Foods in the CACFP
Meal Counting in the CACFP
Free and Reduced Price Meal Applications
Completing the CACFP Claim
Civil Rights in the CACFP
Monitoring Requirements in the CACFP
CACFP Meal Pattern Requirements
Production Records in the CACFP


Recognizing Excellence in Nutrition and Physical Activity in Child Care

-- Healthier CACFP Award Application
-- Healthier CACFP Award Resource Book

The Healthier CACFP Award is a recognition system that supports the wellness efforts of child care centers participating in CACFP. Child care centers taking steps to improve the nutrition, physical activity, nutrition education and/or environment for children in their care can apply to win an award in one or more of these categories. The three award levels are offered: Honors, High Honors and Highest Honors.

Participation in the CACFP and compliance with CACFP regulations is required to be eligible for the award. Meeting the award criteria and winning an award does not replace CACFP requirements. Applicants are required to be in good standing with the CACFP, defined as having completed and implemented all corrective actions from the previous compliance review and having not been seriously deficient in the past two years, at the time of application.

The program application includes criteria in four categories: Menus, Physical Activity, Nutrition Education, and Environment. Applicants can choose which category(ies) they would like to apply for and at which level, and then submit the application to their State Child Nutrition Agency. Applications must include submission of the requested support documentation as listed in the “Evaluation” columns in the application. Instructions should be read carefully in each category to determine which criteria need to be met to achieve the different award levels. It is highly recommended that applicants utilize the Healthier CACFP Award Resource Book, which explains “why” and “how to” for each criterion and provides guidance and tools to assist with implementing the criteria.

Winners are recognized with awards issued jointly by the USDA, Food and Nutrition Service, and State agency that showcase the child care center’s achievement in the community. Specific awards are based on the award level achieved and include banners, certificates, letters to parents, and logo stickers that can be posted to announce the high wellness priority of the center. At the highest award level, USDA, Food and Nutrition Service, officials will send an individualized congratulatory award presentation to the winners. Contact your State Child Nutrition agency to find out more about the specific awards being offered to Healthier CACFP Award winners.

This is a noncompetitive award process. There is no limit to the number of applicants or award winners. This is a site level award. This means that a sponsoring organization of more than one center, must submit a separate application for each site that wishes to apply for the award.

At this time, the awards are only available for licensed child care centers and school age care facilities.

Numbered policy/instruction memos:
USDA releases numbered policy memos which govern the programs in addition to the laws, regulations, and guidance manuals. The legislaion, regulations and policy memos can be found under its respective program on the USDA website. South Dakota no longer relases the numbered memos separately. Announcements are provided through email, bulletins, and newsletters with reference to the appropriate USDA website.

Memos released by South Dakota will be retained on this website.


45.1 29.1 Doctor Statements and Special Diets
55 43 Layoff Notification
46 Procedures for Contacting the State's Attorney
70   Standardized Recipes
Standardized Recipe Form
Standardized Spaghetti
Recipe Analysis Spaghetti
Recipe Analysis Worksheet
71 60 Monitoring Staffing Standards
83 73 Annual Updating of CACFP Enrollment Forms
84 74 Annual Training Requirement
85 75 5-day Reconciliation of Meal Counts and Enrollment Forms
86.1 Household Contacts for Sponsors of Centers
76.1 Household Contacts for Sponsors of Homes
77 Meal Count Requirements for GFDCH & Seriously Deficient Providers
99.1 88.1 Determining income in drought conditions
100 89 Civil Rights Instruction


For more information, contact the Child and Adult Nutrition Services office at 605-773-3413.